Sunday, October 24, 2010

My Sunday Feeling

I'm 55 today. Damn.

I still feel and pretty much look the same as I have for the past 5 years or so. But the old "double nickle" seems like a lot. And I really didn't think about it until just the other day.

It's not like I'm all of a sudden falling apart or anything. I still run, work out with a trainer, play golf and run around with the kids from Miracle League. While I'm a little heavier than I used to be, I still have pretty much kept my girlish figure. Certainly there are folks younger than me that are in far worst shape and you don't have to look too far to find them. Just like there are folks who have gone, and are going, through a lot more trouble than I have ever gone through.

Sure. I now officially have a Bad Back. My last trip to the cardiologist yielded amusing results which surprised us both. My new doctor is on my ass about my diet and his treatment plan is oriented around "what we need to do to keep you going strong as you get older."

They used to do "wellness." They're now doing "trying to keep somebody with your screwy numbers and really bad family history from dropping dead on us." Screw that. I was told last summer that if a pinched nerve didn't resolve itself I might have to use a cane. And I might not be able to help out at Miracle League. Which caused one smartass to remark that I would be the first person in Miracle League history to go on the Disabled List. Really screw all of that.

But I got better. And I'm still plugging along. My friends at the gym opine that my generally healthy ways are probably what helped me recover from the nerve thing. My cardiologist said despite my weird scores I am asymptomatic which you never see at my age. So there's nothing to treat. I just bear watching.

I'm still plugging along. I don't have to try to quit smoking or drinking at this age. I don't have to lose 20 pounds. I don't have to have a knee replaced. Yet. So far so good.

I'm going to brunch here in a little bit where I will undoubtedly eat stuff that Dr. Tilley would not approve of. My odds are better tonight. I'm going to over to have dinner with friends. Karen specializes in healthy cooking. So maybe I can reverse the polarity. My only other plans for the day are to read the paper, maybe play some golf and watch football to see if the refs actually enforce the new rules regarding helmet-to-helmet collisions. Sounds like a good Sunday to me.

It feels weird to be this old. You look at the obits. People my age die from diseases now instead of accidents. I know my time is more allotted than it was at one time.

Still. I have my robust good health. I have a roof over my head in a part of town that I love. I have money in the bank. There are, on the whole, more people that love me than hate me. And I still enjoy my life and I have many things yet to do.

So far so good. I am blessed beyond what I deserve.

So I'll just keep plugging along.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy bday!

fso