Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Say It Ain't So

I have been unwell over the last 3-4 days. I was out running when the deluge hit Friday night, soaking me to the bone despite wearing water repellent gear. I woke up Saturday with a bad cold which I am only now getting over.

Anyway, I went to the bookstore Saturday in search of brain candy and got "Odd Man Out" by Matt McCarthy. McCarthy pitched for noted baseball powerhouse Yale. He hung around briefly in the Angels organization before washing out and going on to Harvard Medical School.

"Odd Man Out" is his account of life in the minors in which he dishes on his team mates and coaches. Only, some of the dishees claim none of this happened. Even worse for Dr. Matt whom I hope has an umbrella policy that covers libel, some of these stories could not possibly have been factually correct.

If there is any sport that is totally anal retentive about stats, it's baseball. If you are wrong, it is pretty easy to prove it so. Some of the folks he discusses in the book think they can prove it ain't so. And some of them have lawyered up.

I'm still gonna read it. Might as well. I bought it. But if this boy is lyin' and the publisher didn't do due diligence.

Well, Matt McCarthy has sent sports journalism back a hundred years.

That was a joke. Want to see the story? Hit the link below.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/03/sports/baseball/03book.html?_r=1

No comments: