Monday, June 18, 2007

Positively Curtains

It had been a long time since I had gone to lunch in the District. 2 and a half years. Easy. Used to practically live there.



It was time. The place where I used to hang was closed. I had to see it for myself.



It was busy down there. I had somehow forgotten that the Farmer's Market was on Tuesday. But then again, it had been awhile. On the way over I laughed in spite of myself when I realized that I couldn't remember what street to turn on. Cumberland? Or was it Commerce? "Give yourself a break." I muttered under my breath. "It's been awhile." I found my old spot. You could always find a place there if you didn't mind walking a bit.



The entire district was bustling with commerce. There were long lines at every vendor. Folks from the Presidential Library, schoolkids and the crazy guy who thinks he is the Mayor. Well, he thought he was the Mayor back in the day when I used to hang out down there. Who knows? Maybe he thinks he's Governor by now. Crazy people have thought crazier things.



I got my lunch at the Mediterranean place. I was happy to see they still had the spicy curry gyro platter. The man at the back was busy working as I came up to the counter to place my order. He stopped carving the lamb when he saw me. He smiled and nodded his head by way of greeting. I waved.



I got my lunch and sat in front of what used to be the old business. It was covered with white tarps as if it were enshrouded. The window facing President Clinton Street was partially covered and the logo had been scraped off. A sign said a pie shop was going in there. Hope it does well. It's a hell of a location.



A place like Little Rock gives up its stories pretty easily. You hear things. What was once inexplicable now makes some sense in retrospect. Not that it much matters. Nothing lasts forever. All things must pass. But from where I sat, it felt something like a death.



After lunch I went to the Farmer's Market and bought some especially pretty tomatoes. I wandered down the street to the art gallery on the corner. The lady that owns the place looked up when she heard the buzzer.



"Well, hello." she said. "It's been awhile."



" Yeah." I replied. "Awhile."



Walking back to the car I went past the business again. I turned my back to it and headed South with my little bag of tomatoes. Back to the parking place I like because I don't mind walking.



A door has finally closed. The curtain has come down.

And the feeling that I have? Well, it feels an awful lot like peace.

No comments: