Sunday, May 23, 2021

My Sunday Feeling

As you read this, Melissa is in the air.  She should be en route to Cairo.  As in Egypt.  Not the one in Illinois.  She left LR yesterday at 4:20 PM our time.  So I’m guessing that’s right.  

She is going to spend 10 days or so with Sarah who has been working out there.  They have all kinds of stuff planned.  The good folks at Bedford Camera set up the Sony mirrorless camera Uncle Dave wanted me to have.  That will be a great low light box for her to use inside museums and the like.  Sarah is an Arabic speaker.  That’s got to come in handy.  

As you may have surmised, I did not go.  There’s a couple of reasons for this.  A) I was not invited and B) I suspect this is a mother-daughter thing that they need to get out of their systems.  Also C) the notion of being on a plane for that long gave me the DTs.  I’m good.

This will be the longest we have been apart since we started seeing each other 5-6 years ago.  And that’s OK.  I very much enjoyed sitting by myself on the porch looking into the woods.  If last night is any indication, Joe and I will undo all the good work his vegan mother has worked so hard to establish.  Speaking of which, Joe is here.  Well, he’s here to the extent that any 21 year old boy is “here.”  Last night he was up in Conway with his buddies.  

And that’s just fine.  I was that age once.  I didn’t want to hang out with the old folks either.      

Once Melissa was in the air, I went down to the gym where I ran into a buddy of mine who is a criminal lawyer.  We caught up on old news.  I told him I was batching it for awhile.

“So what are you gonna do with yourself?”

“Well, I bought a couple of cigars.”

“ If that’s as wild as you get while she’s gone it doesn’t sound like I will need to come get you out.”

As in out of jail.

No. Not likely.

The PGA is on.  There’s golf to be played and red meat to eat.  There’s a cigar to be smoked and/or chewed on and the new issue of Sports Illustrated came in.  

Joe and I will be just fine.  

And so will Melissa and Sarah.    

I look forward to seeing the pictures M takes with Uncle Dave’s camera.  He would have liked that.