Sunday, July 12, 2020

My Sunday Feeling

I have led a pretty charmed life in many respects but none greater than when it comes to my good health.  Sure, I have asthma which is a real pain when it’s this hot.  And I am plagued with recurrent sinus infections, bronchitis and allergies.  But all of these maladies are pretty manageable.  It’s not like I have a severe condition like diabetes or MS.  I know people that do.  It’s no fun.  

I’ve also never had any surgeries to speak of.  I had a cyst removed from my shoulder 25 years or so ago.  But that was nothing.  And I always figured i would have blown a knee up by now.  But I haven’t.  I did tear a rotator cuff in the gym.  But it was pretty minor.  I just quit playing tennis.  

Monday I go in for my first cataract surgery.  I was originally diagnosed with them about 4 years ago.  Daylight Savings Time had just ended.  I was in the hallway at Catholic watching the kids change classes.  A kid waved at me from down the hall.  I noticed I couldn’t make out his face.  Later that day I noticed that it looked all around me like the Almighty had hit the dimmer switch.  

Just like that.

I figured I needed a new prescription.  Wrong as usual.  Cataracts.  Both eyes.  They just weren’t ready for surgery yet.  Last year, during my yearly exam my doctor told me that I would know it was time when I couldn’t find a golf ball.  I mean, one that it is in the fairway.  The fact that I lose plenty of golf balls is no sign of a medical disorder.  Anyway, in the last month or so I noticed myself asking guys that I play with if they could see my ball.  Because about half the time I couldn’t.  

For the longest time I haven’t been able to make out faces at a distance.  Just last week I didn’t recognize a girl that I practically raised.  As in fed her her bottle.  I recognized her voice before I made out her face.  I haven’t been able to read street signs in some time especially at night.  

So it’s time.

My doctor says the procedure will take all of 8-10 minutes and that I should be able to see the next day.  He said the lens he will put in will increase my distance vision which will help my golf, attendance at ball games and recognizing folks.  And I won’t have to wear glasses everyday for the first time in 30 years.  

If only I can return to fearlessly going down staircases. It will have been worth it since I currently have to maneuver some scary ass stairsin my current condition.  And everybody I know that has had the surgery has told me that it is literally a life changing experience.  Like everybody.  

But.  Surgery is surgery.  I will be knocked out.  I don’t like the idea of that.  But it’s not like I will be intubated.  My doc says the only side effect I may notice is that I might come out of it with a shiner as I bruise easily.  So he advises me to come up with a good bar fight story.  

So here we go.  I do look forward to being able to read numbers on jerseys again.  And read signs.

Maybe next time we meet I will actually recognize you as you come down the street.  That would be splendid.    

See you later.  No pun intended. 
  

No comments: