Sunday, November 04, 2018

My Sunday Feeling

Hello again.  

It's me.  I'm back for the first time since May of 2017.  For the mathematically disinclined that's over a year.  

Where have I been?  Nowhere and everywhere all at the same time.  Or so it has seemed to me.  Since you last heard from me, I've gotten married, bought a house, fixed mine up to put on the market, moved a family from Conway to the People's Republic of Hillcrest and probably other stuff that I can't recall off the top of my head.

Of course, the most convenient excuse for my radio silence is that the planning for all of these matters took up a good bit of my time.  And that would be true.  But it's not like I've been working 8 to 5 during that period of time.  And even at that, when I think back on it I did a lot of my blogging back when I was under a lot of stress at work.  I guess it was therapeutic. Probably not for the general readership, but for me.

No it was something else.  Something that I can't quite give a name to.  But if you were to put a gun to my head-and I would appreciate it if you wouldn't-I would have to say that I was, for lack of a better word, disheartened.  

The last entry on these immortal scrolls was May 1, 2017.  The President had just floated the breathtakingly preposterous notion that "[H]ad Andrew Jackson been a little later you wouldn't have had the Civil War." It was as depressing now as it was then that any American President could be so ignorant of history.  And that he would give voice to it.

 But as Dilbert's boss said the other day, "Did you know that some idiots think they're smart?" Most idiots do.  And unfortunately, my own painful experience with malignant narcissists led me to ruefully predict at that time of my last post that there would be no end to other inane and wrongheaded pronouncements from the idiot in the Oval Office who thinks he's smart and who is oblivious to the fact that his every utterance in front of a microphone or note pad is a matter of public record.  That or he doesn't care.


So I did the manly thing and ran away.  I was disheartened.

And recent events haven't eased that any.  With the mid-terms coming up, Trump has decided to put more red meat on the grill to get the base hungry for dinner.  He promised a tax cut for the middle class before the mid-terms which would be quite the trick seeing as how Congress isn't in session.  He has stated that he can-basically-amend the Constitution of the United States by Executive Order which is indeed a legal theory floating around out there.  However, it is one that is basically subscribed to by crackpots.  And we are sending troops to the border to repulse a "caravan" of immigrants who won't likely be within spitting distance of Arizona for at least a couple of months.

Now Andrew Jackson might have approved of that.

So why crank up the old blog again?  Have I recently become "heartened?"  Hardly.

I don't know.  

Maybe it's this.  As I type this I am looking out the window at the green space of the park across the street.  I have been practicing law a little bit recently from this spot in my new house.  It is quiet and peaceful here in the early mornings.  Sometime I see deer in those woods just off my new lawn.  

My books and my camera stuff are in here.  A lot of my stuff is up on the wall. The desk and chair from the old house are here against the window.  It kinda looks like me in here.

I'm not real thrilled with the way the world is going.  But I feel like this is a good place to take up writing again.

And so I am back.  Let's see what happens.