Thursday, January 01, 2015

My New Year's Day Feeling

I don't know how your New Year's Day started.  Mine started at 8 AM on the dot with a call from a voice translator calling for a deaf lady in Maryland about a Legal Services case I'm doing.  The translator asked me to call the lady tomorrow.  

This couldn't have waited?  Happy New Year!

I write these words as I contemplate the smoking rubble that is college football in Mississippi  Both Ole Miss and Mississippi State were in the top 10 at one time this season, which some convincingly claimed was a sign of the End Times as prophesied by John the Revelator.  And both got their doors completely blown off yesterday in their respective bowl games.  The Mississippi State game at least looked competitive on paper if you didn't actually see those boys from Georgia Tech getting their cardio in against the Bulldog defense.  However, the Rebels got thoroughly whacked by a riled up bunch of TCU Horned Frogs who were high pissed at a) not getting put in the Final Four by the College Football Selection Committee and b) having to put up with the likes of Ole Miss. 

By the way, a TCU alumna to whom I am related by marriage posted TCU's cheer on Facebook during the "game."  Here it is: " Riff,Ram,Bah, Zoo, Lickety, Lickety, Zoo, Zoo, Who, Wah,Wah, Who, Give 'em Hell, TCU!" 

My research (watch it) reveals that this cheer originated in the twenties which would have put Bard of Fort Worth Dan Jenkins at about 40 years of age at the time. Anyway, this was back when collegiate athletics in the old Southwest Conference was the exclusive province of white folks.  Black folks wouldn't have come up with something this stupid.

Anyway, Carolyn is not only a nice person but she is a minister of the Gospel over in Indiana last I heard.  It made her happy to share this foolishness and it is certainly harmless.  Besides reading her post was more interesting than watching the actual sportscast.  

But back to the new year. As many of you know, I don't actually make resolutions.  But there are some things that I would like to accomplish in the coming year.  I'm going to write more.  I'm going to play and sing more.  I'm going to play more golf and I am going to blow town with more frequency in order to do so. I have some projects around this damned old house that I would like to get done.  

And I'm going to do a better job of counting my blessings.  My boon companion Kerri and I were texting about just this subject last night before she and the Colonel ventured out into the Hell that is New Year's Eve.  We take so much for granted in this life.  We should all do a better job of not doing this.  Maybe that should be my resolution.  I could make worse ones. 

All in all 2014 was not so bad.  I made new friends.  I still cling tightly to my old.  I actually regressed as a golfer if that's possible.  But I don't much care anymore.  I got out and played and sang in front of a live audience and it didn't completely suck.  And believe me, not completely sucking was about all we were shooting for.  Unlike my golf game, this project has potential.  Then again I am under strict supervision. 

After all a man has to know his limitations.  And I am fully conversant with all of mine.  

As for today, I'm certain it will be spent watching football and receiving the usual erudite running commentary from fans both near and far.  My buddy Allen down the street is a Florida State alum.  It is my New Year's wish for him that Jameis Winston makes bail in time to suit up for the Seminoles today.

Happy 2015 to one and all.  I wish you all health, happiness and prosperity.

And to all the Mississippi State and Ole Miss fans in my life (and they seem to be Legion), who were unusually chirpy even for them in 2014, I have only this to say:

Riff, Ram, Bah, Zoo. 








No comments: