Friday, February 27, 2009

Vox Populi: The Bidnessman

I stopped by at a local place for breakfast this morning en route to a meeting at the Clinton School for Public Service. At the table behind me were a couple of older men who were talking about all manner of topics. The more rotund of the two was seated by my chair.

Rotund one: I went to the doctor about my indigestion the other day. You know what he said my problem is?

Other guy: No. What?

RO: He said I got alcoholic gastritis. Can you believe that shit?

OG: Yes.

My friend Ann came over with the baby to sit with me while waiting on a girlfriend. It is hard to eavesdrop when an 18 month old girl is sitting across from you doing those things that toddlers do. Eventually they left and shortly thereafter I heard the rotund one's voice again.

RO: Hey! Guess what? We made a profit in the 4th quarter last year.

OG: You did?

RO: Well, we did depending on how you amortize that shit.

I was at the meeting at the Clinton School with the Executive Director of a non-profit on whose Board I serve. She has decided that the latter phrase will be her mantra when it comes to explaining the books at our meetings.

It all depends on how you amortize that shit.

No comments: