Monday, September 05, 2005

Antibiotic Fueled Random Thoughts

The general malaise that lurked inside my head late last week-the one that was physiological in nature that is-ripened into a full-blown sinus infection by last Saturday with fever, chills and a voice which sounded for all the world like I had been doing cocaine all Friday night. Which I deny.

Anyway, I had planned to spend the long weekend playing golf, cooking on my grill and doing stuff around the house. Instead, I have been flopped on the couch drinking water and watching sports. And occasionally feeling sorry for myself.

Until, I look at the footage coming out of Louisiana and Mississippi.

Me? I ain't got no problems. Saturday morning I a) used my telephone to call my doctor who b) called me back on his telephone which he c) later used to phone in a prescription to the d) pharmacy which I picked up later while I was e) driving around running errands. Virtually nobody in Orleans Parish can do what we up here on high ground take so easily for granted. I ain't got no problems.

But I am feeling quite poorly. Perhaps a hatchet job on Wally Hall will make me feel some better.

For some reason Wally couldn't content himself to stick to an account of the Razorback's victory over Missouri State or SW Missouri State or whatever the hell they call themselves. No. He had to lead off by musing about how Houston and Danny had to be pining away for their late father who was not at the opening game for the first time. Or let us quote from the master wordsmith himself:

"It was there.

Not so anyone could see or notice but it was there. A small but very real ache for Houston and Danny Nutt."

Well, if you can't see it or notice it, then you can't know it's there unless someone tells you it is there. And then you quote that person.

But that would be journalism. Wally just makes stuff up. It's easier.

Boy. I feel better already.

It is a pleasant morning here in the People's Republic of Hillcrest. I decided to take a walk just to get some fresh air. As I was walking past the grocery store, I got honked at by one of the hotel courtesy van. The young black fella waved at me. I waved back. He pulled up. The window came down.

" Hey, man! Can I take you somewhere? Can I help you in anyway?"

" No, son. I'm fine. Thanks."

Granted, I don't feel well and so I ain't exactly my usual picture of vigorous good health. But I didn't think that I looked like a shellshocked evacuee. Then I looked down at my shirt to see "Tulane Baseball" emblazoned across my chest. Note to self: The Tulane stuff goes in the closet for the foreseeable future.

Speaking of evacuees, my church is going to take in some folks. And so the call went out for sheets, linens, towels etc. I in turn called many of my little friends and asked them to pitch in. The response has been astounding. They got enough stuff for an army in that gym. People really do respond.

My favorite offer of assistance came from my friend B who called me from up in the Ozarks somewhere.

" As soon as I get back you tell me what y'all need and I'll do whatever."

"OK. Great."

" I was thinking. You know? I would be willing to take in a single mother. I could do that. Only don't tell my mom. She would die and I don't want that on my conscience."

"Neither do I. Your secret is safe with me."

Speaking again of evacuees there was a lady from Gulfport in church Friday night. She was there with her daughter girl who I figured to be around 15 or so. She was staying with her other daughter here in Little Rock. I spoke with her after the service. She had the vacant look in her eyes of someone who has seen hand-to-hand combat.

" We were trapped in the attic. I thought I was gonna die."

She collapsed into my arms weeping. Both her daughters were weeping.

I put my free arm around the kid. I put my right hand above my head.

" Lady, you are in a neighborhood called Hillcrest. You are in Pulaski Heights United Methodist Church. Are you getting the picture?"

She laughed. Thank God.

I put both my hands on her shoulders. "You may freeze to death before you get back to Gulfport but you will not be swept away by water."

She looked at me solemnly.

"I will never complain about the cold again. Never."

I've never had to hole up in an attic while waiting to be rescued.

Me? I ain't got no problems.

No comments: