Sunday, April 16, 2023

My Sunday Feeling

 A 32 year old teacher at Bryant High school turned herself in to the Saline County Sheriff yesterday.  Make that former teacher.  She was charged with sexual assault on a minor in the first degree.  The story is that she had improper relations a male student.  A football player.

I am by no stretch of the imagination a perfect man.  I’m not even a particularly good man.  There are even some criminal acts I can understand.  Stealing I understand.  Selling drugs I understand.  Thefts of property I understand.  And not only do I understand most white collar crimes  I could probably perform some of them if I put my head to it.  While I understand in general doing crimes that doesn’t mean that I would do them.  

And not because my morals are in such fine tune.  I can’t do time.  Not only that I can’t lose my license to practice law.  I have no other useful skills other than the ability to sing.  And you how many singers are waiting tables?  

What I do not understand for the life of me are crimes involving children.  Not for one minute do I understand it.  The depth of this feeling struck really home with me years ago when I was administering a test over at Mount Saint Mary Academy which is a Catholic High School for girls down the street from here.  The girls were sprawled all over the classroom.  Sitting or lying in the floor.  Some actually sat at their desks.  

And it occurred to me as watched these kids take the test that one would need to have many screws loose in the headgear to want to have a sexual relationship-forget romance-with a minor. Even seniors in high school are still basically children.  What sane person would have that kind of desire? 

And if there’s a higher degree of “I do not for the life of me understand” it is reserved for adult females who carry on with boys. I used to be a boy.  I can’t imagine any adult women during that era wanting to have the first damn thing to do with me.  Hell, most girls my speed sensibly had no interest in me.

Having said that, I would be remiss if I didn’t remind myself and Gentle Reader that the former teacher is entitled to the presumption of innocence until such time as she is not.  But what kind of a damn fool gets herself or himself into this kind of fix?

I swear to God.  I just do not understand it.

                                                 *********************************

This has been the spring for violent weather.  Another thunderstorm blew through about 6 last night bringing torrential rains, winds and hail.  Our power has been out since then.  Entergy has sent me an email adding me to “don’t worry” because help is on the scene.  That was about 30 minutes ago.  

I can’t complain.  My house is still standing and I have places to go to charge up my devices if I need to.  Yesterday I drove past the Walnut Valley subdivision that was directly in the crosshairs of the twister that blew through Little Rock en route to the Delta a couple of weeks ago.  

God almighty.  The neighborhood looked like a bomb got dropped on it.  Never have I seen such devastation with my own two eyes live and in person.  It will take those poor folks forever to rebuild.  

Me?  I got no complaints.  The power will come back on and coffee shops in the neighborhood are open.  At least as far as I know.  

But I am really over the spring of 2023.

Stay safe.  There could be more to come.