Sunday, August 29, 2021

My Sunday On High Ground Feeling

 I think the outer outer bands of Ida have reached our fair city.  There is a pretty good breeze coming out of the south.  I’m sitting on the porch where it’s actually comfortable under the fan.  The temp has been @ 100 up until today.  The white clouds are low and moving north.  They resemble the gulf clouds I used to watch when I was at Tulane.  They appear to be low enough to where you could reach out and touch them.  Just like I remember.  

And here’s the sure sign that something’s up.  My ears are popping and I’m experiencing sinus pain under my right eye.  Rapid pressure change will do that.  I guess it’s good to know that some things stay the same.

Of course, I can afford this reverie.  When Ida hits here Monday (I think) it will be just 15-20 mph winds accompanied by rain.  If it hits here at all.  The maps indicate that Little Rock may be just west of Ida’s path in the state.  Just close enough to make us wish for fall.

It didn’t occur to me that today is the 16th anniversary of Katrina.  That’s surreal.  Down in south Louisiana folks have been celebrating by evacuating since yesterday. Check the online edition of the New Orleans Time-Picayune/Advocate to look at the parking lot that is I-10.  Ida has a chance to be dangerous.  It may hit my buddies in Thibodaux as a Category 4 storm.  According to NOAA, at Cat 4 she may be packing 130 mph winds.  This will likely result in “catastrophic damage” as in “well built homes sustaining severe damage.” “Trees snapping or becoming uprooted.” Power outages for “weeks or month.” Not to mention water levels of up to 11 feet or so.  Sounds like fun, non?

Of course, as if this would not be misery enough, we can predict that some of the pumps will fail.  If they turn on at all.  ‘Twas ever thus.  My first experience with that was during my first year of law school.  I walked out of my apartment to go for a run.  I heard it rain through the night but I didn’t think much about it because it rains a LOT in New Orleans.  Anyway, I walked out to see Napoleon Avenue completely flooded.  Cars were parked on the neutral ground or median as we call them up here and everywhere else for that matter now that I think about it.

But what was really amazing was watching guys in pirogues rowing up and down Napoleon.  Toto, I don’t think we’re in Mabelvale anymore.  That was just after a hard rain.  And that wasn’t the last time I saw this particular phenomenon.  Believe me.  Some of the pumps will fail.

As for my friends, they have been through this drill before.  Trina and her son made it to Atlanta Saturday morning @ 1am.  Riley and her boyfriend made it north Louisiana.  Chris is staying put.  Then again he’s on duty at the Volunteer Fire Department until the coast clears.  Pardon the expression.  His son George is on duty with Coast Guard.  Andrew and Michelle headed for Oxford.  Cindy and her husband are going to ride it out in the local hospital. Flynn and Ronnie are sheltering place as is Gus who is counting on his supply of guns and alcohol to see him through.  

Tonight will most likely find me glued to the Weather Channel sending texts and doing FaceTime.  With those that have power and Internet that is.

What to us is the first taste of fall has a chance to be dangerous as hell to folks in the Pelican State.  If you say your prayers, please pray that Ida cools down to a Cat 3.   

And don’t buy any used vehicles whose point of origin is Louisiana or Mississippi for the next 2 or 3 years.  Trust me on this one.