Thursday, December 11, 2008

Vox Populi: My Brother- Dave Of The Ozarks

Dave: Just because they are in hospice doesn't mean they are gonna die soon. They can last forever.

Me: Yeah, I know.

Dave: Judy's Dad lasted longer than we thought he would and Helen is still hangin' even though she has Alzheimer's and can't get up out of a chair. No. I have a lot of experience with hospice up here.

Me: Well, this doesn't strike me as a particularly good sign.

Dave: No. But you never know. Helen is still hangin' in there.

Me: Yeah.

Dave: You know what hospice does up here in Greene County, Missouri?

Me: Ummmmm, no. What is hospice doing up there?

Dave: They send a harpist over to these folks house.

Me: A harpist.

Dave: Yessir.

Me: To do what?

Dave: You know, to play the harp.

Me: How dreadful. What? Y'all couldn't find an accordion player instead?

Dave: These old folks love it.

Me: I have never met a harp player who wasn't completely insane.

Dave: Really.

Me: Really. They are either really intense guys or Isadora Duncan types with long hair and silk scarves. I actually know 3 card carrying straight organists. I know no sane harpists.

Dave: Maybe so. But old folks like 'em.

Me: If I ever need hospice care?

Dave: No harps?

Me: No.

Dave: Not even if she's really hot?

Me: Never met one of those either.

Dave: I'm making a note.

Me: Thank you. I don't ask for much.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

My grandfather with Alzheimer's lasted several years not being able to get out of a chair. It can happen.

Anonymous said...

A HARPIST??? Isn't a harp a bit inconvenient to haul around over the Ozarks?? I'm thinking flute or oboe, maybe - or mandolin That's a lovely instrument.

Damn, if I were in a hospice and saw a harp, I would figure I'd already checked out and passed the big test.

tmfw, you know 3 harpists? I don't know any -- I definitely need to broaden my horizons.
But surely their insanity is purely coincidental. Just think of all the non-harpists you know who are also insane.

lucy