Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Independence Day

Greetings from the patriotic People's Republic of Hillcrest where we just completed the 30th running of the Firecracker 5k. It is a very popular race around these parts because about half of it is straight downhill. The course starts off up in the Heights and then heads down Van Buren to War Memorial Stadium. Because it is on such a decline, some pretty crazy times get thrown up by the racers who come in from all over for the prize money. I'm sure that whichever Kenyan or Nigerian won it turned in a time of around 14 minutes. Back in twenties, I once did it in around 16. As you might guess the course is not certified. So none of the times turned in today will count as official records.

I don't run in races much any more. A couple of years ago, they finally figured out that I had exercise induced asthma. I guess I got away with it for years in tennis because of the frequent breaks in play. Even with the inhalers, I can only go about a mile or so before I have to stop to catch my breath. I complained about this to my doctor once. I thought I should be doing better. I mean, there are plenty of professional athletes that have asthma and are able to perform at a high level.

"Yeah, well." he said, while scribbling in his chart. "They ain't pushing 50."

That kinda stung. But if that's the worst that happens to me in this life I will be damned lucky.

I hadn't run this race in about 5 years or so. I had forgotten how much fun it is. It seems as if the whole neighborhood is either running or has turned out to cheer the runners on. There are flags and bunting everywhere. People hold up signs along the way cheering loved ones on. The cops are all in a good mood, the female cops especially so. The lady cops, every one of 'em, clap and cheer as folks go by. Children that are running, especially the little girls, always wave to the lady cops. The lady cops always bend way down at the waist to acknowledge the kids down at their level. Which can't be the easiest thing to do with all the equipment they are lugging around.

It is a wonderful and joyous thing to see. And it sends a powerful message from people wearing badges and guns, the ultimate symbols of civil authority : "We are the good guys and we are here to protect you. You are safe because of us."

Hell of a good thing for a kid to know.

I like the 4th of July although it seems pretty weird to be celebrating it on a Tuesday. The old holiday mode is tempered somewhat by the reality that most of us will have to get up to go to work tomorrow. Of course, I'm certain that the the holiday mode in Iraq is tempered by the reality that there are crazy bastards trying to blow our brave men and women stationed over there to Kingdom Come and back. I don't have it so bad.

I did OK in the race. I had to walk a couple of times because I couldn't breathe but I still came in under the time I had set in my head that would otherwise qualify me as a candidate for wussdom. My buddy Steve and 2 of his kids ran. 11 year old Jacob beat me. However, I kicked 9 year old Abigail's ass. Damn straight I did.

"You'll get him next year, Abby." Steve said. What the hell. She probably will. Some families chart the growth of their kids by marking their heights on the wall. Steve charts the growth of his by whether they can blow my doors off in a 5k. That's OK. That's the way it is supposed to be. One day you are running the race under 20 minutes and today, in what seems to be the blink of an eye, you cross the finish line to find an 11 year old that you used to hold-he's all arms and legs now boy- waiting for you there wearing a grin that any monkey would be proud of. That's life.

And it is a very sweet thing.

I am grateful to be an American. No man has been more blessed than me. I love my life, I like my neighborhood and I enjoy participating in an event where the cops-bless their underpaid little hearts- humble themselves to encourage the children.

I do not take the freedom that I enjoyed for granted. They continue to be purchased on a daily basis by young men and women both known and unknown to me who have placed themselves in harm's way for my sake.

They are the good guys. They are there to protect me. I am safe because of them.

Happy Independence Day!












No comments: